Wednesday, November 7, 2007

It's Christmastime...in November???

I was at the mall today buying a birthday gift for the Big Guy's mom and happened upon Santa's workshop...I know that Thanksgiving is just weeks away and that Black Friday is the biggest shopping day of the Christmas season, blah, blah, blah... But seriously, the Halloween decorations are barely tucked away and we are still eating candy corn around here... I'm just asking for a little time to ease into the hustle & bustle. The day after Halloween Target had their Christmas aisles ready to go...Don't get me wrong...I love Christmas...I love the visiting, the family time, the tradition and the true beauty of the season...and if you want to throw a diamond bracelet in my Christmas stocking ("hint, hint Big Guy")...I'm ok with that, too. I just don't want to be tired of Christmas by December 1st. My favorite radio station has already begun to prepare me for their annual switchover to "All Christmas all the time". It seems to me that the switch to Christmas happens earlier & earlier every year...This year I'm taking my time... I plan to enjoy the beauty of autumn...the falling leaves, the crisp mornings & the cold nights...I'm already building fires in my hearth & wearing my wool sweaters... I'm ready to bake my pumpkin pies & give thanks... And I'm sure by the Sunday after Thanksgiving I'll be knee deep in shopping lists and wrapping paper and humming Jingle Bells in my sleep.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my 2nd Christmas with my son -- he's 18 months old. Christmas has a whole new appeal now -- we were in Lowe's a couple of weeks before Halloween, and they had their Christmas stuff out. My son was in Wonderland -- he LOVED it! I know, by next year, he'll be all "I want! I want!" and I'll hate it, but this year..... it's just magical.

Mom in the Morning said...

Liz, I know I sound like the biggest Scrooge...I love Christmas actually...it's still magical for me...and my darlings are 7 & 11...I just hate the commercialization...Enjoy your magical holiday with your little boy!!! They grow up fast...My "little boy" wears a size 5 shoe now (which I can fit in to in men's).