Friday, January 4, 2008

Happy New Year - What day is it?

Wow, I can't believe it's a new year already (again). It seems like the older I get, the quicker the new year comes. December was a blur of shopping, wrapping, baking, cooking and sleep deprivation... Now that the new year is in full swing I feel like I should be prepared and organized (I love organized) and ready to face the first month of this grand new year...Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to "do" my calendar for January yet. I am a person who lives by her calendar. My particular calendar is huge and hangs on the side of my refrigerator, giving me a life-sized version of the month-at-a-glance. I put everything on there...the darlings' schedules, my schedule, the hot lunch at school schedule, all bills to be paid for the month, all sports practices and games and dance class and even the one day each month that posh puppy gets her heart worm pill...all color coded and highlighted. My calendar is my lifeline (you thought I was going to say obsession) and I dutifully sit down on the last day of each month and prepare the next month's calendar. It's an ordeal and takes over an hour and usually at least one glass of wine...Well the last day of December was New Year's Eve and after spending a very busy day...the Big Guy & I sat down to cocktails and watched the ball drop...needless to say...I did not get my calendar finished (started)...now here it is January 4th...and still no calendar...I don't know where to go or what to do...thankfully my Little Guy's basketball coach sent an email this morning or we would have missed the game tonight...the schedule is sitting on my desk on top of the calendar... I'm not sure when I became so dependent on my calendar, but I know that I spend more time standing on the side of the fridge trying to figure out how to fit it all in than ever before. Somewhere between the first day of preschool & elementary school my life became a schedule & my schedule became my life...so these last few days with no calendar have been a blessing. I have "nothing" to do..."nowhere" to go...it's nice, it's peaceful...it won't last. Tomorrow morning I plan to sit down with a pot of coffee, five highlighters, two different colored pens and the twenty or so papers, schedules, etc. that help make up my monthly calendar...but I will think fondly of these few days in January where I did next to nothing because I couldn't figure out where to go (or when or with whom)...

No comments: