Tuesday, April 1, 2008

20 things to do before I turn (wow) 40...

Wow, I'm going to be 40.......in four year. I'm actually almost speechless...& I'm a writer.... I finished a really sweet book today called "The Next Thing on My List" by Jill Smolinski. In a nutshell it's the story of a thirty-something woman who decides to complete a "20 things to do before my next birthday" type list that she finds after the sudden death of an acquaintance... The heroine decides to complete the dead woman's list...and ends up changing her entire life in the process... It's the kind of story that makes you want to compile a list, literally, and then go about completing it... So, in the spirit of the story I looked ahead to my next milestone birthday, so as to pen a 20 things to do before my....and that's when it hit me...my next milestone birthday is going to be my 40th. Wow (again). How did I get here? I still remember my (achingly) Sweet 16, 21 was a blur...but momentous none the less... 25... I'd just had my first child & I forgot about my birthday all together until 26 rolled around. 30 I ignored, pointedly. It seems that I turned 35 last may...although again it was riddled with denial...But 40...that's a big one. Wow. It's not so much the age that's getting me here...my husband is 42...my mother is still gorgeous at almost 60... A lot of my good friends are 40 and fabulous... It's just, wow. What have I been doing with all my time? When will I finish the novel that his been dancing around in my head all these years? Am I to old to jump on the trampoline with the kids (NO)...I'm just old enough to be sore the next day...I still feel so young...ok, not early twenties...party like a rock star young...but young enough... I went to a bar with my youngest sister a month ago... and I am pleased to report that although I was probably the oldest person there with the exception of the management (yeah...one of those young, trendy, who can dance in heels this high bars), I did manage to attract a bit of attention...ok it was really dark & everyone was pretty much drunk by the time I got there because I had to wait for my husband to get home from work before I could leave...but I got hit on a few times...which doesn't happen much in my soccer mom world... And it's funny because I couldn't really enjoy it because I was so worried about how all these "young kids" were getting home...and who they were going home with... I had to stop myself from
frowing & asking for ID a few times... Sometimes I'm such an old lady & such a momma that I just can't help myself. Yes, I like to "mommy" everyone & make sure they get home ok & hanging out with my kids is still my favorite way to spend the day...I'd just like to look about 25 while doing it & maybe be mistaken for the (hot) nanny occasionally... (Maybe I'll put that one on my list)...............

No comments: