Sunday, April 27, 2008

Field of Dreams...

I love baseball....there is just no other way to put it...I love it! Any baseball...all baseball... I grew up around the game. My dad played baseball & later softball in leagues throughout my childhood...Spring & summer nights meant sitting at a ballpark watching the guys play, listening to the Phillies on my Grandpop's radio...Already in his 70's then, my Pop never missed my dad's games. In Pop's eyes, my dad was the best catcher in the game, best hitter (mostly grand slams...so he really was), just the best... Pop yelled at the umps, yelled at the radio and always gave me a running commentary about the "Game". There was no talk but Phillies talk in my grandparent's house from the time pitcher & catchers reported to Spring training until October...and even then, in the "off-season", he was getting ready for Spring Training. Pure love of the game kind of stuff. When I think of my Pop now I see him in a Phillies T-shirt, Phillies hat on the bleachers watching my dad at Finnegan Park in the city cheering & yelling & loving the game...When my Pop finally passed away in his 90th year...my heart ached for him...it still does...but every spring he's closer. My son is a baseball player...at 11 he doesn't just play the game...he has it inside him. The rules, the stats, the pure love and understanding of the game..
My Pop had it, my Dad still has it...I can't remember a stat (unless it's my son's)...but my heart is true and this time of year it's filled with baseball... We spend this time of year on the ball fields. We just went to a Phillies game a few weeks ago... I love it there...but my favorite place to be is on a little ballpark in the middle of our town, watching my son from the bleachers... In my eyes, he's the best catcher, the best hitter, just the best...

1 comment:

Caroline said...

After 5 years in Boston, baseball truly got into our family's blood. The sound of a game on a summers afternoon is so comforting and calming. I can't wait to get to more games here in FL (which is a lot more possible than it was in Boston) once our boys are a little bit older.